An 18 year old student got her StrengthsFinder profile. After scrutinising her Strengths Reports, she approached me with a troubled look at the end of a Strengths Introduction session.
"I'm unsure about these three talent themes - they don't seem to describe me"
#activator #individualization #deliberative
STEP #1: Define Talent Themes Precisely & Concisely
(1) "What do you understand by these three themes?"
- to check for for her understanding
"Signature Themes Report” covers the broad spectrum of thinking, feeling & behaviour patterns.
"Strengths Insight Report” customises theme descriptions with other signature themes.
Some people are still unable to pinpoint & confirm their top 5 with these reports. In such cases, it is imperative that coaches are able to provide concise & precise descriptions for the themes.”
(2) (Hearing her understanding) "That is partially true, but a more direct way to explain this is..."
- #activator - "hate to wait" & "try first & learn along the way"
- #individualization - "easily notices preferences of people & caters to each with different approaches"
- #deliberative - "naturally sees risks, thinks of what may go wrong & takes precautions"
(3) "When do you think, feel or behave that way?"
- Check whether they can clearly & concretely identify manifestation of talent themes
(4) "That sounds right. You do manifest these talent themes. Why did you feel (2 minutes ago) that it doesn't describe?"
STEP #2: Discern for Contrasts & Unlikely Pairs in Top 5
(5) I notice contrasting pairs of themes in your top 5. Do you recall situations where you vacillate between the talent themes?
- #activator usually wants to start & get things off the ground. However #deliberative may prefer to carefully consider risks before starting.
- #command usually wants to take charge and lead people to follow your decision. However #individualization prefers to cater to & adjust to people's preferences.
The lady could identify many situations where she felt "torn". It was because of these situations that she found it hard to accept that she had #activator #individualization & #deliberative
StrengthsTransform™ Coach Certification
Interested in getting certified to use our tools & materials for coaching? Inquire with us for the next run of training!